WHEREAS, the Town of Lapel, Indiana, adopts all definitions and provisions of I.C. 9-13-2-69.7 referencing the definition of a golf cart; I.C. 9-21-1-3-3 allowing the Town of Lapel to adopt traffic regulations concerning golf carts; I.C. 9-13-2-94.5 adopting the definition of low speed vehicles; and I.C. 14-19-1-0.5 defining a motorized cart.
BE IT ORDAINED, by the Town Board of Lapel, Town of Lapel, Madison County, Indiana, that the following ordinance is hereby established and hereby does adopt the above referenced Indiana Codes and further establishes the described use of alternative transportation:
- Alternative transportation is defined and described as any motorized vehicle not requiring to be plated, including but not limited to electric vehicles, golf carts, utility carts, and excluding quad runners and dirt biles.
- Any operator of alternative transportation must have a current and valid driver's license and comply with local and state ordinance and laws.
- Any alternative transportation vehicle or device must be inspected on an annual basis. The inspection costs shall be $40.00 per unit and the inspection shall be conducted by the Lapel Police Department at the Lapel Police Station located at 720 South Ford St, Lapel, Indiana. The purpose of the inspection will be to determine whether or not the unit is safe and in compliance with all related rules and regulations.
- The owner must renew the inspection every twelve months by scheduling the appointment as described above. The Lapel Department will maintain records of inspection and reserve the right to remove any uninspected or unsafe alternate transportation unit.
- Any violators of this ordinance shall be brought before the Lapel Safety Board and subject to a fine of up to $500.00 per violation offense.
- Each alternate transportation unit must be insured and verification of that insurance must be presented at the time of the above-referenced inspection.
- Parking will be parrallel to and on the right in the same direction as traffic is designed to flow.
- That the hours of operation for alternative vehicles will be from the hours of 5:00am through 11:00pm.
- Any alternative vehicle being operated in the Town of Lapel shall have the following equipment:
- Front and rear turn signal lamps, tail lamps and stop lamps.
- Reflect reflectors
- Exterior or interior mirrors
- Vehicle Identification Number
- A safetly belt installed at each designated seating position.
- A maximum design speed of not more than 35 miles per hour.
- That this Ordinance shall not contradict any law of the State of Indiana persuant to Indiana Code, including but not limited to alternative transportation vehicles may not be operated on dedicated state highways (including State Road 13).
- This Amendment incorporates by reference all relevant provisions of Title 9 of Indiana Code, which regulats motor vehicles used in the State of Indiana.
Read and Adopted 5th May 2011
Village Fair Additions
WHEREAS, the Town of Lapel, Indiana, amends Ordinance No. 7, 2007, and hereby adopts an ordinance for procedures during the Village Fair.
WHEREAS, the Town of Lapel, Indiana ordains that the procedure will be utilized during the annual Village Fair that is held during the month of July concerning temporary permits issued for golf carts used by individuals.
- Anyone bringing a golf cart to the Lapel Village Fair must have a temporary permit. The permit is secured from the Lapel Police Department and will cost Thirty Dollars.
- All ATV vehicles are not allowed within the Town of Lapel during the Village Fair.
- Applicants for the temporary permit must have a valid driver's license to be able to operate the golf carts between the hours of 6:30am to 9:30pm (daylight hours).
- Any operate of any golf cart must have a current valid driver's license and comply with local and state ordinances and laws.
- A local ordinance violation will be issued by the Lapel Police Department for any non-compliance. The fine will be Eighty Dollars, payable to the Town of Lapel and will result in the impounding of the golf cart.
- The temporary permit is good for the three days of the Village Fair and expires Sunday evening at 7:00pm.
Read and Adopted 5th May 2011