BE IT ORDAINED by the Town of Lapel, Madison County, Indiana:
WHEREAS, the Town of Lapel, Indiana, amends Ordinance No. 4, 2003 and hereby adopts an ordinance for the regulation alternative transportation used on the right of ways and roadways of the Town of Lapel.
WHEREAS, the Town of Lapel, Indiana, adopts all definitions and provisions of Indiana Code 9-13-2-69.7 referencing the definition of a golf cart, Indiana Code 9-21-1-3-3 allowing the Town of Lapel to adopt traffic regulations concerning golf carts; Indiana Code 9-13-2-94.5 adopting the definition of low speed vehicles; and Indiana Code 14-19-1-0.5 defining a motorized cart.
BE IT ORDAINED, by the Town Board of Lapel, Town of Lapel, Madison County, Indiana, that the following ordinance is hereby established and hereby does adopt the above referenced Indiana Codes and further establishes the described use of alternative transportation:
- That any operator of alternative transportation must have a current and valid driver's license or a picture identification card showing the person to be at least 16 years of age. Further, such individual must have a reasonable knowledge of driving, driving safety, traffic flow and information road signs or instructions.
- Operation of such alternative transportation shall be during daylight hours only unless equipped with the required lighting as set out in Paragraph 11.
- Any alternative transportation vehicle or device must be inspected on an annual basis. The inspection costs shall be $40.00 per unit and the inspection shall be conducted by the Lapel Police Department at the Lapel Police Station located at 720 South Ford Street, Lapel, Indiana. The purpose of the inspection will be to determine whether or not the unit is safe and in compliance with all related rules and regulations.
- The above described inspections will be conducted on Saturdays, to be scheduled in advance by the owners. For the Saturday appointment, the following number should be contact: (765) 534-4600
- The owner must renew the inspection every twelve (12) months by scheduling the appointment as described above. The Lapel Police Department will maintain records of inspection and reserve the right to remove any uninspected or unsafe alternate transportation unit.
- Any violators of this ordinance shall be brought before the Lapel Safety Board and subject to a fine of up to $500.00 per violation offense.
- Each alternate transportation unit must be insured and verification of that insurance must be presented at the time of the above-referenced inspection.
- The purpose of this ordinance, alternate transportation is described as any motorized vehicle not requiring to be plated, including but not limited to electric vehicles, golf carts, utility carts, excluding quad runners and dirt bikes.
- Parking will be parallel to and on the right in the same direction as the traffic designed to flow.
- That the hours of operation for alternative vehicles will be from the hours of 5.00am through 11:00pm.
- Any alternative vehicle being operated in the Town of Lapel shall be equipped with headlamps, tail lamps, and stop lamps.
- Any alternative vehicle being operated in the Town of Lapel shall be equipped with a safety belt, installed at each designated seating position.
- Any operator of alternative transportation must have a current and valid driver's license and comply with local and state ordinances and laws.
- This Amendment incorporates by reference all relevant provisions of Title 9 of Indiana Code, which regulates motor vehicles used in the State of Indiana.
READ AND ADOPTED THIS 20th DAY OF AUGUST 2009.
Date Passed: 8/20/2009