- No truck or other commercial vehicle with a gross weight of ten thousand (10,000) pounds or more shall be permitted on any Town highway except:
- local delivery trucks,
- owners of trucks or commercial vehicles, in excess of the gross weight, who live within the Town limits, and whose business is outside the Town limits, and then only for ingress or egress, and
- Pendleton Avenue
- any semi trucks over five tons on Ninth Street from State Road 13 to Brookside Road
- The Town Street Department shall post notices of this section on all access streets and roads, and designate truck routes for trucks and commercial vehicles with a gross weight over Ten Thousand (10,000) pounds.
- Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be fined a sum of not less than Twenty Five Dollars ($25.00) for each violation. ('82 Code, Ord. No. 9-1982, passed 12/22/82))Ord. 5-1997, passed 6/17/97) (Amended by Ord. No. 5-1989, passed 3/16/89)
- A weight limit is imposed, restricting its use for vehicles, not the exceed 13 tons on Bulldog Avenue (300 South between State Road 13 and County Road 950 West) (Ord. No. 5-1999, passed 3/8/1999)
1-130 Alternative Transportation
Alternative Transportation shall be regulated on the right of ways and roadways of the Town of Lapel as follows:
- That any operator of alternative transportation must have a current and valid drivers license and comply with local and state ordinances and laws.
- Operation of such alternative transportation shall be during daylight hours on Town streets, not County roads or State Highways, crossing at intersections only.
- Any alternative transportation vehicle or device must be inspected on an annual basis. The inspection costs shall be $40.00 per unit and the inspection shall be conducted by the Lapel Police Department at the Lapel Police Station located at 720 South Ford Street, Lapel, Indiana. The purpose of the inspection will be to determine whether or not the unit is safe and in compliance with all related rules and regulations.
- The above-described inspections will be conducted on Saturdays to be scheduled in advance by the owners. For the Saturday appointment, the following number should be contacted: (765) 535-4600.
- The owners must renew the inspection every twelve – (120 months by scheduling the appointment as described above. The lapel Police Department will maintain records of inspection and reserve the right to remove any uninspected or unsafe alternate transportation unit.
- Any violators of this ordinance shall be brought before the Lapel Safety Board and subject to a fine up to $500.00 per violation offense.
- Each alternate transportation unit must be insured and verification of that insurance must be presented at the time of the above referenced inspection.
- The purpose of this ordinance, alternate transportation is described as any motorized vehicle not requiring to be plated, including but not limited to electric vehicles, golf carts, utility carts excluding quad runners and dirt bikes.
- Parking will be parallel to and on the right in the same direction as the traffic is designed to flow.
This ordinance shall not supersede any Indiana State law or statue as to transportation. (Ord. No. 5-2003, passed 5/1/2003.)
Date Passed: 12/22/1982
Date Amended: 5/1/2003