Whereas, the Town Council has received a request from the Lapel Fire/Ambulance
Department to provide an ordinance requiring the placement of key boxes for Fire, Ambulance and Police Department use; and
Whereas, the Town Council deems it desirous to minimize property damage that can result from forced entry in an emergency; and
Whereas, the use of key lock boxes provides better access to buildings by the Fire/Ambulance and Police Departments for the purpose of protecting lives and property;
Now Therefore, be it ordained by the Town Council of the Town of Lapel;
- Any property within the Town that is protected by an automatic fire alarm system and/or a fire suppression system;
- Any new or remodeled non-residential structure;
- Any multi-family structure with a common, locked entrance;
The key box shall contain;
- Keys to locked points of ingress whether on the interior or exterior of such buildings;
- Keys to locked mechanical equipment rooms;
- Keys to locked electrical rooms;
- Keys to elevator controls;
- Keys to other areas as directed by the Fire Chief and Town Marshal;
- Any other devices needed for access to above locations, including key cards or codes;
- All keys, key cards, key codes, etc. shall be labeled to indicate what specific location within the building they unlock.
Key Box shall be approved by the Fire Chief and Town Marshall as to location of installation and type.
This ordinance shall be in full force from and after its passage and approval according to law.
Date Passed: 7/20/2006