In attendance in person: Teresa Retherford, Chad Blake, Lindsay Washmuth and Paula Lee

In attendance online: Attorney Jeff Graham

Absent: Jason Kleinbub, Noah Bozell

7pm meeting called to order

Public Comment: Andy Cole commented on the availability of the building inspector.  Building inspector, Dennis Nail is currently available to Lapel on Thursday mornings.  Council stated they would reach out to Dennis Nail and see if he would have another day during the week he could work with the Town.

Bill Balbach, Brian Bush asked about utilities being provided to property they purchased on 950 W.  Council asked that they attend the next meeting to discuss provisions.

Stephanie Turner tree limb on the line on old 132 is now 90% off the line.  Centurylink is responsible for removal of the limb.  Stephanie saw a Centurylink employee in the area and had him work on the removal.

Approval of minutes from March 17, 2022, motion made by Washmuth, 2nd by Retherford and all were in favor.

Motion to approve the claims as presented made by Washmuth, 2nd by Retherford and all were in favor.

Motion made to suspend regular meeting and open a Public Hearing made by Blake, 2nd by Washmuth and all were in favor.

Discussion was held on the Additional Appropriation, approval was given in March 24 meeting but additional appropriation was required for tree removal thru ARPA funds. 

Motion to close Public Hearing and open regular meeting made by Washmuth, 2nd by Blake and all were in favor.

Motion to approve Resolution 9-2022 Additional Appropriation ARPA Funds of $7000.00 for tree removal made by Blake, 2nd by Washmuth and all were in favor.

Chris Sears addressed the Council about the home at 204 E 11th Street, home is in disrepair with junk cluttering the yard.  Council to send letter to homeowner to clean up property.  Sears also spoke on the poor quality of sidewalk work done by DC Construction during the last CCMG project, sidewalks are cracking and breaking up. 

Motion to approve Resolution 8-2022 Authorization for Execution of INDOT Agreements made by Washmuth, 2nd by Retherford and all were in favor. Signatory resolution for Retherford to be signer for CCMG projects.

Discussion was held on the upcoming INDOT State Road 13 project.  INDOT is not completely closing 13, INDOT holds a progress meeting each Thursday at 9am, and Stephanie Turner asked that those interested in attending contact her for meeting place information.

Pavement Management Plan Update was given by Drew Wolfred from Kimley Horn. Blake said we want to focus on cutting and patching with the help of ARPA Funds.  Drew said we could put together a package for the cutting and patching project.  Ken Remenschneider spoke on the Parks Master Plan and Thoroughfare Master Plan drawn up by Kimley Horn for the Town of Lapel.  Plan will focus on parks improvements and trails as well as streets roads and alleys throughout the Town.  Plan will help Lapel put impact fees in place for parks and roads.  The Lapel Redevelopment Commission has agreed to help fund the project with TIF Funds, Attorney Graham advised that 50% of annual TIF Funds has to be spent or committed to a project and LRC can assist with the funding of the project.

Motion to approve the Parks and Thoroughfare Master Plan Contract presented by Kimley Horn at a cost of $84,700.00 made by Blake, 2nd by Washmuth and all were in favor. 

Discussion was held on Mr. Fisher’s request to change name of School Street to Main Court. Retherford had spoken to Gary Shuck, Shuck’s most recent map of Lapel has the street listed as School Street.  History wise the street has been named School Street due to the first school in Lapel being on that Street.  At some point the name was changed to Main Court.  The address for Daybreak Church is listed as Main Court in the Keystone System. Blake recommends reaching out to the Lapel Community Association for a historical street sign/plaque for School Street depicting it was once called Main Court with the history of the street/area.

Discussion was held on Indiana Bond Bank, back in October we ordered a truck with a snow plow for the utility department and a police truck.  The price of the utility truck has gone up $3933.75 due to it being a newer model year than what we ordered (we ordered a 2022 truck, were priced a 2021 truck by dealer) and the price of the snow plow has gone up also.  Graham advised we did not have a legal and binding contract regarding purchase price, we could choose not to purchase but no contractual obligation regarding price.

Motion to approve price increase of $3933.75 utility truck and plow making overall purchase $45758.00 made by Blake, 2nd by Washmuth and all were in favor.

Blake also informed the council the truck we ordered for the PD is 10 months out however it is at a locked in price due to being a police vehicle and customized.

Police update was given by Chief Naselroad, he now has 5 reserve officers available to work.

Park update was given, they are still in need of a Park Board member.

Planning Commission update, a rezone from Commercial to Residential (R2) at 705 S Main Street was favorably recommended for approval to the Council. 

Motion to approve rezone for 705 S Main Street made by Blake, 2nd by Retherford and all were in favor.

Andy Cole gave a presentation to the Council regarding property located near 9005 W SR 32, Cole plans on putting in homes, cottage homes, a small strip mall and green space areas with a pond.  This is a future development based on the acquisition of 9005 W SR 32 property, and the submission of PUD paperwork to the Planning Commission (this presentation was made to the PC at their last meeting).

Utility update, Armacost requested the purchase of an electro fusion machine from USDI for gas at a cost of $2700.00.  Motion to approve purchase made by Blake, 2nd by Washmuth and all were in favor.

Armacost said tower inspection report is in but she’s not through reviewing it yet should have by next meeting.  Trees to be cut out at Junior High next week. 

Office update: accounts were presented for collections/write off:

5085 06                                128 E 4th Street                 $143.93

5040 00                                525 S John Street             $397.52

8045 05                                216 E 10th Street              $236.47

8415 00                                920 N Woodward            $787.73

Motion to approve collections/write offs made by Retherford, 2nd by Blake and all were in favor.

Drive thru roof at Town Hall is falling apart, utility crew has volunteered to tear down drive thru and remove it from building.  Hutchison requests dumpster on site to collect the roof and other debris. 

Possible volunteer day from all employees to remove roof & drive thru area.

Being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned.


Posted at Thursday, April 21, 2022